Author Topic: File scanner question  (Read 5755 times)

Offline Derek

• View Profile
File scanner question
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:22:54 am »
I'm having some trouble letting PVD scan my hard drives for movies and automatically create records for them.

The problem is that I have a lot of movies that are split into CD sized chunks and the individual video files are inconsistently named. However, the movie files are in folders that do follow a consistent naming convention, so before my collection grew too large, I could find them without too much trouble.

Is it possible to get the file scanner to use the name of the folder that contains the video files as the title of the movie and then just append all the video files within that folder as the actual video to play?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: File scanner question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:09:49 pm »
Yes. Regex match patterns found anywhere in the file path. Your configuration will need to include a regex that recognizes the consistent pattern in the folder name. Place it first or high in the list so it matches before any others do.

Offline Derek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 02:12:33 am »
Thanks rick.ca.

Just looked at Regex. Ouch! Looks like I might have to put some time into learning how to use it.

Offline minolotus

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:27:56 pm »
Please give us a short notice when you have earned the black belt of regex.  ;D Such knowledge would be very welcomed here.

I tried to get into regex last year and got nearly insane. It starts simple but if you try to get the cases on the edge it becomes really crazy. A short hint: I found it difficult to adjust the regex expressions in PVD as you could not immediately recognize the outcome. Therefore I use a software called Flexible renamer (http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014830/english/FlexRena/). When entering regex expressions the result is directly shown in a preview.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 08:49:18 pm »
You could have used nostra's Regex Tester (download).  ;)