Author Topic: Download of IMDB rating is broken  (Read 17947 times)

Offline minolotus

• User
    • View Profile
Download of IMDB rating is broken
« on: August 12, 2011, 10:28:20 pm »
The guys from imdb have changed the layout of their website again. This results in the inability of the imdb script to download the rating. Other fields seem not to be affected.

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Download of IMDB rating is broken
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 05:56:59 am »
The guys from imdb have changed the layout of their website again. This results in the inability of the imdb script to download the rating. Other fields seem not to be affected.

Imdb rating works, no problems.

Added images.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ivek23
Win 10 64bit (32bit)   PVD v0.9.9.21, PVD v1.0.2.7, PVD v1.0.2.7 + MOD

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 07:09:55 am »

Imdb rating works, no problems.

Added images.

Now for me does not work anymore Imdb Rating and Imdb Votes.

EDIT:
I found a solution, perhaps the only current, but it works. I removed the imdbconf in folder
C: \ Program Files \ Personal Video Database \ Plugins
and re-edited for Imdb plugin settings in
Tools > Settings > Plugins > Imdb > Configure
and running again Imdb Rating and Imdb Votes.
Ivek23

Offline minolotus

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 09:39:31 am »
EDIT:
I found a solution, perhaps the only current, but it works. I removed the imdbconf in folder
C: \ Program Files \ Personal Video Database \ Plugins
and re-edited for Imdb plugin settings in
Tools > Settings > Plugins > Imdb > Configure
and running again Imdb Rating and Imdb Votes.

Sadly, no help for me. I am wondering why this works for you? If you take a look at the actual source code of a movie page at imdb and compare it with the former code (use google cache for example), you will see that the code related to the rating has totally changed. I understand only a little bit how these scripts work. My understanding was that the script searches for keywords in the source code. If they changed the code, the script should not be capable to find the relevant information?

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 05:15:48 pm »
Sadly, no help for me. I am wondering why this works for you?

The question is how long this will work for me. If memory does not deceive me, then according to similar problems with ratings in the past, only a few days, then no longer work.
Ivek23

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 10:06:08 pm »
The question is how long this will work for me. If memory does not deceive me, then according to similar problems with ratings in the past, only a few days, then no longer work.

Yes. I don't know how we might know for sure what's happening, but when major changes were rolled-out in the past, different users were affected at different times. I guess it takes time for mirrored servers to reflect changes.

It might help, minolotus, if you could post before and after snips of the page source for a few examples. From that, we could at least confirm whether or not we're seeing the same changes you are.

Offline minolotus

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 02:04:28 am »
It might help, minolotus, if you could post before and after snips of the page source for a few examples. From that, we could at least confirm whether or not we're seeing the same changes you are.

Please find attached two screenshots with the old and the new layout.

Code: I have searched for the numbers and have found for each movie I checked three sources for the rating in the new page source.

Casablanca (Rating 8.8 ):
Code: [Select]
<div class="star-box giga-star" itemprop="aggregateRating" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/AggregateRating">
<div class="star-box-giga-star">
</div>
<div class="star-box-rating-widget">
<span class="star-box-rating-label">Your rating:</span>

<div class="star-box-details">
Ratings: <strong><span itemprop="ratingValue">8.8</span></strong><span class="mellow">/<span itemprop="bestRating">10</span></span> from
<a    onclick="(new Image()).src='/rg/title-starbar/votes/images/b.gif?link=ratings';"     href="ratings"   title="191,245 IMDb users have given an average vote of 8.8/10"
    ><span itemprop="ratingCount">191,245</span> users</a>
</a>&nbsp;
Reviews: <a    onclick="(new Image()).src='/rg/title-starbar/user-reviews/images/b.gif?link=reviews';"     href="reviews"   title="811 IMDb user reviews"
    ><span itemprop="reviewCount">811</span> user</a> <span class="ghost">|</span>
<a    onclick="(new Image()).src='/rg/title-starbar/external-reviews/images/b.gif?link=externalreviews';"     href="externalreviews"   title="147 external critic reviews"
    ><span itemprop="reviewCount">147</span> critic</a></div>
<div class="clear"></div>
</div>

12 angry men (Rating 8.9):
<div class="star-box giga-star" itemprop="aggregateRating" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/AggregateRating">
<div class="star-box-giga-star">
</div>
<div class="star-box-rating-widget">
<span class="star-box-rating-label">Your rating:</span>

</div>
<div class="star-box-details">
Ratings: <strong><span itemprop="ratingValue">8.9</span></strong><span class="mellow">/<span itemprop="bestRating">10</span></span> from <a    onclick="(new Image()).src='/rg/title-starbar/votes/images/b.gif?link=ratings';"     href="ratings"   title="150,256 IMDb users have given an average vote of 8.9/10"
    ><span itemprop="ratingCount">150,256</span> users</a>

</a>&nbsp;
Reviews: <a    onclick="(new Image()).src='/rg/title-starbar/user-reviews/images/b.gif?link=reviews';"     href="reviews"   title="570 IMDb user reviews"
    ><span itemprop="reviewCount">570</span> user</a> <span class="ghost">|</span>
<a    onclick="(new Image()).src='/rg/title-starbar/external-reviews/images/b.gif?link=externalreviews';"     href="externalreviews"   title="88 external critic reviews"
    ><span itemprop="reviewCount">88</span> critic</a></div>
<div class="clear"></div>
</div>

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 02:37:50 am »
Currently works for me is a page layout as shown the  image old.jpg .
Ivek23

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 04:26:40 am »
That explains it. I haven't yet seen the new style. Unless he wants to update the plugin so it works for both, nostra will want to wait until he knows most users are getting the new version. We might also wonder if this is a one-off, or a sign of more such changes to come. Obviously you haven't noticed anything else broken. Do you see any other changes in the web pages?

[Edit:] Might this be the cause of [Votes] not being updated, as reported here?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 04:35:03 am by rick.ca »

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 12:38:27 pm »
Family Matters (TV Series 1989–1998) already has the new style, Imdb rating and Imdb votes with me functioning normally and without problems.

See attached pictures

Ivek23

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 05:49:12 pm »
Family Matters (TV Series 1989–1998) already has the new style, Imdb rating and Imdb votes with me functioning normally and without problems.

See attached pictures

It does not work anymore.
Ivek23

Offline minolotus

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 08:17:33 pm »
Obviously you haven't noticed anything else broken. Do you see any other changes in the web pages?

The new designed star rating is the only change I have noticed and consequently everything else works fine.

We might also wonder if this is a one-off, or a sign of more such changes to come.

I hope not that they have decided to develop different webpage versions with localised content and/or layout. Allready now, I don't like it that it is not possible to set the shown released date to original released date . IMDB replaces this date by the local released date as soon as the movie/Tv show is shown is the relevant country. This behaviour causes a big mess-up in the year field for my TV shows.  >:(

So, I hope that everybody will soon be able to adore the new big rating star when visiting the imdb site  ;D

Offline minolotus

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 08:32:11 pm »
Sometimes the best solution is to sit a problem out. IMDB has gone back to the "old" style and the rating with the ten stars instead of only one big star is back! Therefore, downloading the imdb rating works again.  :)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 09:40:23 pm »
It might be premature to conclude this is a solution. We already established different people are seeing different versions of the same page. Maybe this is just a case of the same person seeing different versions of the same page at different times. Maybe it's just something they do to piss us off. ;)

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 06:57:04 pm »

See attached pictures

It does not work anymore.

Imdb rating and IMDB votes - now work with me again.
Ivek23

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 06:08:37 am »
If Imdb plugin does not transfer data Imdb rating and IMDB votes then it is necessary to make re-start PVD, then it will almost certainly Imdb plugin transferred data for Imdb rating and IMDB votes, however, is or old or new style page.
So far, this one solution works, it is not necessary to remove imdbconf file and are not required re-make settings for Imdb plugin.

EDIT:
And another thing:
Before you close PVD, it is good to make a backup database, because as already noted above on the re-launch of PVD, there is still a possibility that Imdb plugin will not transfer data for rating and votes, then it needs to be done recovery backup copy, then he should Imdb plugin to do the transfer data for rating and votes.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:33:21 pm by Ivek23 »
Ivek23

Offline maid

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 07:27:46 am »
Do you mean restore not re start.

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 09:46:22 am »
Do you mean restore not re start.

The first restore, re-update with Imdb plugin, if there is no effect (irregular download data or no change data), then first restore and then re start PVD, then again re- update with Imdb plugin.
The result would be correct really correct data transfer.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:58:28 pm by Ivek23 »
Ivek23

Offline minolotus

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 07:23:08 pm »
It's unbelievable but true: IMDB switched again the design. Now the rating with the one big star is back.  ???

Offline minolotus

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 10:28:09 pm »
Short update on this:
- Yesterday 5pm: old style
- Yesterday 7pm: new style
- today 5pm: old style

I think that they are heavly testing the new  style and have choosen me as their beta-tester.

Maybe I should post a twitter account to keep you up-to-date in realtime  ;D

anything