Author Topic: Is it possible to generate a "people" list from movie data?  (Read 4805 times)

Offline idk

• View Profile
Is it possible to generate a "people" list from movie data?
« on: April 15, 2012, 08:28:16 pm »
Hello,

I'm new to this program and still stunned how good it is. Anyway, I've been trying to set everything up now, tagged my imported movies etc.

Okey, now I added the names of all the people in my videoclips in the cast-form in the movie information.

Is it somehow possible, to generate a people list from these "available" taggs? Now, when I change to the people mode, the list is almost empty. Only the people, on whose name I have clicked in the video-information window... appear.

Okey, maybe that sounds to strange to  understand. One example:

I imported a self recorded movie, and added the names of my two friends Anna and Peter in the "Cast" form.

When I change to the people/actor mode of the program, Anna and Peter aren't in the list. So I go back to the video mode and look at the informations that I entered. Anna and Peter appear as a blue link. When I click on them, Personal Video Database, switches to the people mode again, and Peter is in the list. I go back to the video mode, click on Anna, and now also she is in the list.

Is there somehow a simpler way to do that? I didn't find anything. I imagine it can't be the right way, that I have to click on hundrets of different people taggs, just to add them to the people list.

Thank you in advance for your help. I used the search form, but wasn't really sure for what to search. So please excuse, if the question already exists.

Cheers from Germany :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:35:34 pm by idk »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Is it possible to generate a "people" list from movie data?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:11:40 pm »
You could go to the Preferences -> People and enable the option "Show people added from movie credits", so that any people in your movie records will always be visible in people list
or
1. switch to the people mode and select Filters -> Advanced filters -> Show only invisible items
2. select all the people you need
3. Right click in the list and select "Always show"
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:17:14 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

For every name you see in the Movie view, a record has been created. Initially, that record is invisible because in the normal use of the program the fact a person's name is listed somewhere doesn't necessarily mean you want to record any information about them. Nevertheless, a record is created, and that record has a filmography of the movies in the collection the person is related to.

If your collection is of self-made movies, it's likely you do want to record information about every person listed in movie records. If so, select Preferences > People > Show people added from movie credits. To make the invisible records you already have visible, us the Filter to show invisible records, select all, right-click and select Always show.

In a collection of regular movies, you would want to think carefully about showing all people. Once you do so, there's no practical way to distinguish between those you care about and those you don't. You're effectively forced to update them all. That can make quite a difference. In my collection of 2,300 movies and TV Series, I get information (i.e., show the records of) the most significant people for about half the movies. That results in about 15,000 visible people records that need to be kept up-to-date. Doing so means includes adding the complete filmography of each person. And that means adding an invisible movie record for each movie mentioned in a filmography that's not also in the collection. As a result, my database includes 278,000 invisible movie records. Now imagine what that number would be if I were also getting information for the 20,000 invisible people records in my database. :o

As usual, nostra gets to the point much quicker than I. :-[

Offline idk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:21:19 pm »
Oh thank you very much! That was quiet easy. Sorry that I missed these possibilities. And I was "scared" by the warning saying, that this option can not be undone so easily.

Anyway, because I'm just building a database of my countless, self recorded video clips, it is the option that I need.

Thanks for your answer, and providing this great program!!!

anything