Author Topic: Restoring PVDB From Backup  (Read 8164 times)

Offline doust

• View Profile
Restoring PVDB From Backup
« on: June 28, 2012, 02:26:13 pm »
Can anyone help please, my laptop recieved the black screen of death, and had to be replaced.

Thankfully I did back all PVDB on both USB and in my documents, alas when I try and restore my PVDB on my new laptop it either comes up as files already in use, or when doing it via the empty PVDB home-page it cannot find any back up files in the PVDB folder?

Thanks in anticipation

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Restoring PVDB From Backup
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:38:54 pm »
How did you make a backup?
Check that there are no instances of PVD running when restoring the backup by copying the file.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline doust

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:07:28 am »
If I open it straight from back up location it comes up "Could not create back up file. Movies. pvd already exists

If I use the PVDB primary page (blank and unused) The restore is blanked out?

If I use open folder, it comes up with a bug report "an error has occurred" close application etc?

If I use the primary page and if rarely the restore button appears, when I use the find file facility there are no back up files, although I know they are in that particular file?

I have even placed the two files movies (with clapperboard logo) and movies.pvd (type OLD) in the programs (x64) folder, but still it cannot find them or start up.

I fully appreciate this is annoying you, but not as much as the hassle I have had and not having my favorite program up and running :)

Cheers

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 12:37:42 am »
So how did you create the backup in the first place?

Offline doust

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 10:45:48 am »
Hi Nostra, I used the backup facility on the main page of PVDB, to a SD card inserted in the port of my laptop, and also in "my Documents" along with the normal backup to the folder in programs buddy.

(yes I am paranoiac over losing this data as I have over 3,000 films listed, not including those which I have sold but remain hidden from view and not deleted from the system).  :)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 02:17:37 pm »
For the backup made from PVD use the Restore function in the program itself.
For backup you have made by copying the file, just copy it to the needed location and open in PVD.

Offline doust

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 01:59:17 pm »
Done it............but I have had to use an external hard drive which was out of date, so I am re-instating all the missing DVDs, not to bad about 55 to catch up on but better than re-installing over 3,000.

Just frightened that one day I will lose all this data.

Thanks

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 06:47:51 pm »
Done it............but I have had to use an external hard drive which was out of date,

Could you explain, why exactly it did not work with later backups?

Offline doust

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 08:04:58 pm »
Sorry Nostra, looking again I can see why my e-mail was misconstrued.

The external hard drive is third in line for the back ups,

I back up most nights all my film data to an SD card inserted in the computer, then the next back up is to a 16GB USB drive, and thirdly once every month or so I back up to a large external hard drive.

The PVDB back up on the SD card and USB stick are up to date, if anything happens it is a simple transfer, but this time PVDB did not like either of these files and even when C&P'ing them onto the C Drive would not work, I haven't the faintest idea why?, (I have recalled that I have had problems restoring from USB keys and SD cards many years ago).

I did manage to use the large external hard drive, sadly the data was about four weeks old, so I spent the whole of the day re-installing all the lost data back onto the computer and now I am almost up to date.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 11:42:01 pm »
but this time PVDB did not like either of these files and even when C&P'ing them onto the C Drive would not work, I haven't the faintest idea why?
So, what happened? If PVD produces a "Bug Report", then send it to me, please. Check the access permissions for the database file. Make sure everybody have read and write access.

anything