39 (5.4%)
Read only version of PVD
33 (4.6%)
Tag export/import (like ID3 for mp3)
29 (4%)
Preferred release title (more info)
22 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: Vote: Features for 0.9.9  (Read 199320 times)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Vote: Features for 0.9.9
« on: July 03, 2008, 12:22:29 pm »
Here are some major features planned for 0.9.9. Please select 4 most import features for you, so I can set higher priority for most wanted  of them.

You are welcome to suggest more features.

I can not guarantee that all listed features will be implemented, but I'll try to.

P.S. Votes can be changed
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:56:48 am by nostra »
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Vote: Features for 0.9.9
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 04:52:22 pm »
Some form of tag export/import function to ensure if PVD needs to scans the folder again it will be able to import imdb and graphics data without human intervention. Aimed to provide similar functionality as currently available for music files via ID3 tags when scanning files from a different user / computer or moving some files to a different system.

For more detailed discussion see http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=870.20
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 03:17:32 am by patch »

Offline ewit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:59:12 pm »
I would also be great with a optional external database like mysql, so when you already have a sql database, you can just use that.
That would also make it useable from multiple computers on a network.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »
Grid view is not quite as important to me as it was, but I think it deserves to be at the top of your list.

My remaining votes went to the following three items, and I would like to express more directly what I'm hoping for. Now that I've created a database I'm very pleased with, my interest is shifting to making the best possible use of the information. For me, the ability to use the program in a home theatre environment (i.e., viewing at 3 metres, using a remote control) would offer the greatest improvement to it's utility. The addition of a typical Media Centre-like "theatre view" is far too much to ask, and is probably not exactly what I'm looking for anyway. I'm hoping the interface customization features will be implemented in a way that will allow me to create my own PVD "theatre view" that includes as much information as possible—enlarged to readable size. The result would not only allow me to select a movie for viewing (as media centre software would—based on attributes, covers, etc.), I would be able to see most of the movie information, read a review, etc.

I'm sure I'm overlooking some complications, but this capability doesn't seem to involve much more than the ability to increase the font size and maybe rearrange some of the fields to better accommodate the larger font. It would require the ability to save customized views and switch between them easily (e.g., a shortcut that toggles normal/"theatre" views). Most of the navigation issues can be dealt with in programming the remote. In other words, I can imagine a "customizable views" feature that would satisfy my specific need, as well as the more general desire to tailor the interface to one's own preferences.

More features:

A fundamental feature that sets PVD apart from others is the handling of people in a proper relational database. I think it would be wise to highlight this by offering a third panel or pop-up that shows the (complete people view) information for any person selected in movie view. This would make the people information much more "accessible" than it is now. The time lag in switching views is a significant deterrent to viewing people records on a slower machine. I suspect it's at least an annoyance at times on a fast machine—having to switch views just to see some information about a person in a movie. I suppose the same should be considered for movies in people view, but this would not interest me nearly as much.

Well, okay, it's not a new feature, but... On behalf on new users, I would like to vote for any improvements that will make import/export routines easier to use. The obvious thing that comes to mind is the ability to read headers of input files and present a field mapping dialog populated with the fields found. Many potential new users are going to have existing data they are very attached to. Even though the existing routines are effective, some are not going to even try PVD unless they see a clear and easy path for converting/importing their existing data.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 07:54:12 am »
I would also be great with a optional external database like mysql, so when you already have a sql database, you can just use that.

Client-Server functionality is already on the list. You can also install Firebird on a Linux web server easily and access the database from a php script. (one Russian user has already done this :) I am also sure that there are tools available to convert firebird databases to mysql.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 08:02:22 am »
My remaining votes went to the following three items, and I would like to express more directly what I'm hoping for. Now that I've created a database I'm very pleased with, my interest is shifting to making the best possible use of the information. For me, the ability to use the program in a home theatre environment (i.e., viewing at 3 metres, using a remote control) would offer the greatest improvement to it's utility. The addition of a typical Media Centre-like "theatre view" is far too much to ask, and is probably not exactly what I'm looking for anyway. I'm hoping the interface customization features will be implemented in a way that will allow me to create my own PVD "theatre view" that includes as much information as possible—enlarged to readable size. The result would not only allow me to select a movie for viewing (as media centre software would—based on attributes, covers, etc.), I would be able to see most of the movie information, read a review, etc.

I plan to enable such functionality with customizable views as I need it myself ;) I think I'll make some kind of skins engine working with xml files where you can define positions, sizes, colors etc. for different UI controls.

A fundamental feature that sets PVD apart from others is the handling of people in a proper relational database. I think it would be wise to highlight this by offering a third panel or pop-up that shows the (complete people view) information for any person selected in movie view.

A small piece of information is already displayed when you hover over a person with a mouse. I could add some additional fields in these hints, but displaying all the persons information along with movie would be pretty difficult as there is not enough space in the window for this. An extra popup window  could be a solution thou, I'll play with this idea a bit...

Well, okay, it's not a new feature, but... On behalf on new users, I would like to vote for any improvements that will make import/export routines easier to use. The obvious thing that comes to mind is the ability to read headers of input files and present a field mapping dialog populated with the fields found. Many potential new users are going to have existing data they are very attached to. Even though the existing routines are effective, some are not going to even try PVD unless they see a clear and easy path for converting/importing their existing data.

A good point. I'll certainly try to make import easier to use in 0.9.9.

Offline mntzion2000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 07:58:44 pm »
Greetings,

I requested to have the grid view, I have become very accustom to using this feature, its quick and easy to view the poster and info of multiple movies at a glance in either alpha or numerical order.

Offline 12joey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 08:18:59 pm »
I plan to enable such functionality with customizable views as I need it myself Wink I think I'll make some kind of skins engine working with xml files where you can define positions, sizes, colors etc. for different UI controls.
Customizable views would be very useful, for exampe I would like to have a feature to define the ciriteria movies of an actor are sorted in the people view. At the moment they are sorted by year, but how about sorting by Rating or by Alphabet?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 08:36:55 pm »
Customizable views would be very useful, for exampe I would like to have a feature to define the ciriteria movies of an actor are sorted in the people view. At the moment they are sorted by year, but how about sorting by Rating or by Alphabet?

See the Sort by and Group by items on the View menu and the list pane context (right-click) menu.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 08:51:11 pm »
I think I'll make some kind of skins engine working with xml files where you can define positions, sizes, colors etc. for different UI controls.

Is this going to be user-friendly enough for those of us who go brain-dead in face of anything vaguely resembling code? I suppose I'm thinking of my experience with other "skinnable" software. It rarely makes any difference to me because I don't believe I have the ability or patience to create my own skin. Note I'm speaking from complete ignorance. Perhaps a skin specified as an xml file is the sort of thing I can figure out by following an example or template.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 09:50:23 pm »
I think I'll make some kind of skins engine working with xml files where you can define positions, sizes, colors etc. for different UI controls.

Is this going to be user-friendly enough for those of us who go brain-dead in face of anything vaguely resembling code? I suppose I'm thinking of my experience with other "skinnable" software. It rarely makes any difference to me because I don't believe I have the ability or patience to create my own skin. Note I'm speaking from complete ignorance. Perhaps a skin specified as an xml file is the sort of thing I can figure out by following an example or template.

Most  probably it will be similar to HTML templates, so if you can create/edit templates you will be able to create/edit skins.

Theoretically, I could create a separate "Skin Constructor" application to make it easier, but it is much work, so I'll add the skins engine to PVD first and maybe some time later there will be some kind of constructor application as well.

Offline Fahd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 09:51:58 am »
The "scan folders for new movies/changed paths" allows you to add files in a directory as new movies. It would be neat if on the "scan results" page that shows up if you had say a drop down list of all items, so you could add the files as episodes to an item. Next to each file you could also have the option to specify episode number, and season number. Perhaps also some way to change the season number for all files on that page to the same value; so if all files were episodes of season 3, rather than tagging each as season 3 individually, there would be a "set all epsidoes to season: ?" option. The episode numbers for each file would be filled out autmatically according to their alpabetical position (i.e. aaa.avi would have episode number 1, and zzz.avi would have the higest number).

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 01:53:38 pm »
The "scan folders for new movies/changed paths" allows you to add files in a directory as new movies. It would be neat if on the "scan results" page that shows up if you had say a drop down list of all items, so you could add the files as episodes to an item. Next to each file you could also have the option to specify episode number, and season number. Perhaps also some way to change the season number for all files on that page to the same value; so if all files were episodes of season 3, rather than tagging each as season 3 individually, there would be a "set all epsidoes to season: ?" option. The episode numbers for each file would be filled out autmatically according to their alpabetical position (i.e. aaa.avi would have episode number 1, and zzz.avi would have the higest number).

Actually, episodes support and many more additional settings for "scan folders for new movies/changed paths" is what I meant with "Customizable file scanner".

Offline carlsbox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 09:45:38 pm »

Client-Server functionality is already on the list. You can also install Firebird on a Linux web server easily and access the database from a php script. (one Russian user has already done this :) I am also sure that there are tools available to convert firebird databases to mysql.

I'd like to do something similar, could you please point me in the right direction to the Firebird database and access to it? Is there a plan to be able to share a database between 2 applications? i.e. My housemate and i share a movie collection and would like to maintain it without having to keep exporting and importing to each other's installations of PVD. Possibility of unbundling the database from the viewer application (ala Model-View-Controller idea)?

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 10:21:07 pm »
My housemate and i share a movie collection and would like to maintain it without having to keep exporting and importing to each other's installations of PVD.

That is what ID3 tagging (& scanning shared file servers) or client server version of PVD is aimed at addressing

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 12:42:15 am »
I'd like to do something similar, could you please point me in the right direction to the Firebird database and access to it?

Official Firebird web-site: http://www.firebirdsql.org
For other stuff - just google.

Is there a plan to be able to share a database between 2 applications?

An Append function is planed and a possibility to copy and paste records between database files.

Possibility of unbundling the database from the viewer application (ala Model-View-Controller idea)?

The database is not "bundled" to PVD and can be viewed and edited in any Database Management Application that supports Firebird.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 01:27:08 am »
Еag export/import (like ID3 for mp3)

Never heard of this... What does EAG stand for? Any useful links for explaining what this is?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 01:32:35 am »
Printing     - 2 (3.2%)

I'm feeling a little sad for this feature. What, exactly, did you have in mind, considering you've already provided for the export of HTML reports (which can then be printed)?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:10:55 pm by rick.ca »

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 09:28:16 am »
Never heard of this... What does EAG stand for? Any useful links for explaining what this is?
I assumed it was a typo for Tag ie http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=870.20

I do agree that references to where the idea has been discussed in the forum would be useful as I had to guess what a few of them refer to. It is being clarified as this thread goes on though.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 09:54:53 am »
I assumed it was a typo for Tag

Oh. I thought he had discovered a new standard for video tags.  ::)